Saturday, November 29, 2014

Nude With Gold Glitter Nail Art

After a week of disasters, I can finally show you the manicure I resorted to this week in desperation.

I told you in my last post that I would tell what brought me to tears before I managed to get my manicure done for this week.  To cut a long story short, we had to go shopping before I could get around to doing my nails and, right at the end of our shopping trip, I looked at my nails and, to my absolute horror, the tip of my left middle finger nail had snapped right off.  I could have cried then, but that's not the end of the story.

When we got home, I filed my broken nail off, and decided my nails looked wrong with all different lengths, so I bit the bullet and filed the others off shorter as well.  So, here is how my nails looked after I filed them back.  Awful, aren't they?


As you can see, the middle nail on my left hand is really short now, as are the middle and index fingers on my right hand.  The ones that were starting to grow really well are now a lot shorter, also, which is so disappointing, as they were really starting to look good when they were polished.  Anyway, I started to do my manicure for the week, which was going to be red, pink and blue different-sized dots on a white background, with contrasting smaller dots on top of the larger dots, and then even smaller dots on top of those in another colour.  However, I stuffed it up completely, to say the least, and I was absolutely devastated.  I was feeling really depressed at this stage, and had lost all my confidence to try anything else.  It was late in the evening anyway, so I took off the polish, oiled my cuticles (with Jojoba Oil of course), put on some hand cream and went to bed.

But wait!  There's more!  Things just got a whole lot worse.  While I was having a cup of coffee before starting my manicure the next day (24th Nov), I looked at my nails, and nearly died.  My index fingernail on the left hand had a break in it, and so did the thumb and middle fingernails on my right hand.  Then I did cry!!!  I couldn't believe it.  I know one thing for sure, though.  I won't be leaving my nails without any protection on them again before the damage caused by my chemotherapy has all grown out and they have recovered.  They are just so fragile that the slightest thing can cause them to break or peel away.  The damage was too far down the nails for me to file them off, so drastic measures had to be taken.

I promptly applied a patch to each nail, using the tea-bag and glue method, and tried to decide what to do with my nails for the week.  As they are now so short again, and because I was feeling so depressed and didn't want to risk wrecking another manicure, I decided to just do a nude base with gold glitter.  Here is the final result, after three ghastly days of disasters:


I started with a base coat using OPI "Natural Base Coat", then applied two coats of OPI "Passion", which is one of the loveliest pale pink nudes I've found so far.  It went on really easily, and two coats gave reasonable coverage.  If I hadn't been putting a glitter coat on, I would have done a third coat of "Passion" to get full coverage.  Then I added one coat of Savvy "High Voltage", which is one of the most beautiful shimmer/glitter combinations I've tried to date.  It immediately covered each nail with a fine sheen of gold shimmer, with lots of medium-size pink glitter scattered all over the nails.  I finished it off with one layer of OPI Top Coat, which I top up every other day, as usual. 
The photo really doesn't do it justice, because I couldn't get the pink glitter to show (it looks gold in the photo), but when I move my nails around, it has a different look depending on how the light catches it.  At times you can almost see through the nude base, and the rest of the time I have this gorgeous gold and pink shimmer/glitter effect. Although it isn't anything startling, and considering this was going to just be a hold-over mani to give me time to cool down and recover enough to do a decent manicure, I must say I am surprisingly happy with the results.  It really is very pretty, and the light catches it beautifully when I'm outside in the sun or under fluorescent lighting in the shopping centres.  I'll definitely be using this shimmer/glitter many times in the future.

I haven't decided yet what I will do for my next mani, but I won't be attempting anything too ambitious for a while until my nails start to get longer and I recover my confidence again.  I'll wait and see just how I feel when the time comes.  It has now been 4 days since I painted my nails, and so far no chips and no wear.  So, thanks for visiting, and I hope you had a better week than I did.  

God bless you, and have a wonderful day.

Hugs

Christine

(Please check out my other blog below, too.)

Words of Life and Hope
http://wordsoflifeandhope.blogspot.com.au/

P.S. I have received no monetary or material gain from my reviews of the products used for this manicure.
Everything comes from my personal stash, all purchased by me, either in-store or online.


2 comments:

  1. nice manicure ! wish you all the best !
    you could add a gadgets where we can follow you !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, again, bubica. I have finally worked out how to get people to follow me on my blog, just in case you are interested.

      Delete