Monday, March 16, 2015

St Patrick's Day Quilted Manicure 16 March 2015

Today I have my St Patrick's Day Quilted Manicure to show you.  I went with the typical green and gold, with glitter on top of the green on most nails, but quilted my ring finger nails using gold striping tape and gold decals, both of which I bought from AliExpress.


I started with 2 coats of Sally Hansen Nail Rehab, followed by two coats of Sinful Colors "HD Nails" on all nails, and two coats of ulta3 "pot of gold" over all but my ring finger nails.  I then placed gold striping tape and gold decals in a quilted pattern on my ring fingers.  I then finished off with two coats of Seche Vite over the decals on my ring fingers, and one coat of OPI Top Coat over the rest of my nails.

I had real problems with the mani because it wouldn't dry.  I waited at least half an hour between coats, and they seemed dry to touch, so I added the glitter to the nails.  I don't know if it was the ulta3 glitter polish that was the problem, or the Sinful Colors green polish.  I thought everything was dry, so went ahead and did my ring fingers, and then added the top coats.  They seemed to be dry enough to go to bed, but when I got up this morning, the mani on the nails on both hands had all scrunched up on several nails, and pulled away from the tips on most of the nails.  There was none of this damage when I went to bed.  Here's some photos of both hands to show you what I'm talking about.

So, I wasn't sure whether to show you my mani or not, but I thought I should, so that you could see what can happen if you go to bed without making sure your nail polish is dry first.  As it was, mine had about one and a half hours to dry after I had added the top coats, which should have been heaps of time.  I really wish I knew which product I used caused this, but I don't. 

Also, I realised after I'd added a few decals that the ones I used were too large, and I should have gone for a smaller size, and I should have only used one coat of glitter.  It really is a bit over the top.  Oh, well, better luck next time.

My manicure wasn't the only disaster this week either.  I now have three completely broken nails which I've had to file back (my middle nail and thumb nail on my right hand, and my thumb nail on my left hand), and one that has a patch on the whole nail because it has broken on both sides (my index finger on my left hand), both of which are below the level of the nail bed, where the edges have pulled away from the nail bed because of the chemotherapy damage I suffered last year.  I'm just praying that this nail will hold together until I can get it to a stage where I can file it back.  So, I apologise for the state and length of my nails this week, but hope it won't be too long before they grow back to a decent length, and that they finally will have grown out all the damaged areas from the chemo.

That's it from me today, and I hope you'll come back to see what I have for you next time, which will probably be only a day or two because of the condition of my manicure this week. I really don't think I can stand looking at it much longer, but I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow, and another one on Wednesday, so I'm not sure which day I'll decide to change it.  I want to leave it on at least until tomorrow (St Patrick's Day), so after I get home tomorrow I'll probably take it off and try something new.

Thank you so much for visiting, and have a wonderful week.



(Please check out my other blog below, too.)

Words of Life and Hope


  1. This is a really cute look, especially with the studs on the quilting. It's a shame you had such problems with it overnight :(

    1. Thanks so much. I had problems again with this weeks mani, but it turned out pretty reasonable after all the hassles and lots of tears. Now I just have to wait for my nails to grow out so they look a reasonable length again. Smothering them with cuticle oil and hand & nail cream whenever I can, so hopefully they'll improve soon. Love your manis and all your blogs.